- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
MILLER: NRA to score Senate vote on Obama’s nominee for surgeon general, Vivec Murthy
Gun rights group can makes vulnerable 2014 Democrats reconsider voting party line
Question of the Day
Late Friday, Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action released a letter he sent to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to notify them that his organization “strongly opposes” confirmation of Dr. Vivek Murthy.
The NRA decision will undoubtedly make vulnerable Democrats up for reelection in the midterms reconsider voting party line on this nominee.
On Thursday, Democrat-controlled Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee approved the nomination. Afterwards, Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican, said he will put a “hold” on Dr. Murthy’s nomination because of the nominee’s inexperience and gun-control positions.
Mr. Cox wrote the Senate leaders that, “Dr. Murthy’s record of political activism in support of radical gun control measures raises significant concerns about his ability to objectively examine issues pertinent to America’s 100 million firearms owners and the likelihood he would use the Office of Surgeon General to further his preexisting campaign against gun ownership.”
He started “Doctors for Obama” in 2008 to support the candidate and his health care reform plans, which later became Obamacare.
However, Dr. Murthy’s group advocated for even more restrictive laws from Congress in 2013, such as a federal buyback of so-called assault weapons.
He pushed for mandatory training and licensing before being allowed to purchase ammunition or a firearms and a federal 48-hour waiting period for buying a gun and limiting ammunitions purchases.
Dr. Murthy has made his views known on Twitter:
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park