- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Oscar Pistorius seen shooting in gun range video
Question of the Day
JOHANNESBURG — Newly released video shows Oscar Pistorius, who faces a murder trial next week, firing weapons at a gun range before the double-amputee athlete fatally shot his girlfriend last year.
Sky News on Friday broadcast footage of Pistorius firing a shotgun and using a pistol to shoot a watermelon, which bursts on impact. Delighted screams and laughter from unidentified people are heard in the background.
Sky News also broadcast audio of a man it says "sounds very much" like Pistorius who comments on the shattered watermelon.
"It's a lot softer than brain but... it's like a zombie stopper," the man said.
The video of Pistorius shows him wearing sunglasses and gun range headphones. Francois Hougaard, a South African international rugby player, is also seen shooting alongside Pistorius in the video. Sky News did not say exactly when the video was taken, or where.
Pistorius' murder trial starts Monday. The prosecution says Pistorius had a fight with Steenkamp before killing her by firing shots through a door in the bathroom of his home on Feb. 14 last year. He says he shot the model and reality TV star after mistaking her for a dangerous intruder in the night.
Prosecutors are seeking a life sentence for Pistorius should he be convicted of murder in Steenkamp's killing, meaning the Olympic runner would have to serve at least 25 years in prison before being eligible for parole. There is no death penalty in South Africa.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world