- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
Philippines claims record in organ donor pledges
Question of the Day
MANILA, Philippines (AP) - The Philippines has broken India’s record of gathering the most organ donor pledges in an hour at a single site, health officials said Friday. The feat awaits the Guinness World Records’ official confirmation.
Health Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag said the campaign gathered 3,548 pledges at an event held at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines’ Manila campus, beating India’s previous record of 2,755.
At the event, aimed at raising awareness about organ donation, volunteers filled out forms with a checklist of organs they are willing to donate upon death. Those forms were then checked and recorded by organizers.
“We have a lot of countrymen who are in dire need of organs and this is part of the goal of the Department of Health to remove the stigma attached to donating organs,” Tayag said.
He said the record was still unofficial because there were no Guinness adjudicators present. Documented results will be sent to the records body.
The Philippines also hopes to top India’s record of 10,450 pledges in a single site in eight hours, and to set new records for the most number of donors signing up in one hour and eight hours in multiple sites.
Aside from Manila, simultaneous registration of donors was held in five other cities.
The results for the other record attempts were not yet available.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world