- Israeli warplanes pound 29 Palestinian sites in Gaza: ‘Direct hits’ confirmed
- Eric Holder to give thumbs-up to drop jail time for drug offenders
- N.J. Gov. Chris Christie faces fire for Superstorm Sandy dollars: ‘Where’s the governor?’
- Pope Francis shakes Vatican Bank with ‘earthquake’ reforms
- White House: Obamacare didn’t matter in Florida special election
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Gas blast destroys 2 N.Y. buildings; 6 people dead
- 2 dead, 23 hurt when driver plows into SXSW crowd
- Student protester shot, killed amid Venezuela unrest
- ‘Between Two Ferns’ director rushes to Obama’s defense, blasts O’Reilly
2 children crash through ice on frozen pond
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - Two children have died after falling through ice on a pond near Plummer, Idaho, on the Coeur d’Alene Indian Reservation, the tribe said Monday.
Tribal police and emergency responders received a call about 4:30 p.m. Sunday that two children had fallen through the ice on the pond on Old Agency Loop Road in Plummer, the tribe said.
“They were found by their grandmother, who called 911 and then pulled them out of the pond,” the tribe said in a news release. “Early reports indicate the children may have been looking for their dog when they fell through the ice.”
The children were taken by ambulance to Kootenai Medical Center in nearby Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, where they were pronounced dead.
Tribal police estimated the pond was about 6 feet deep.
The Kootenai County Coroner’s Office will conduct autopsies to determine the cause of death, the tribe said.
Plummer is a small town about 45 miles southeast of Spokane, Wash, near the Washington-Idaho border.
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Ukrainian PM accuses Putin of wanting war
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Critics point to Obama's attempts to sell health care as no laughing matter
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- CURL: Calm down, conservatives: Obama's 'Two Ferns' bit was brilliant
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again