- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
5 things to know about women’s Olympic curling
Question of the Day
There’s a catch: She’ll be in a TV commentary booth rather than out on the ice.
The transition so far has been smooth. Sigfridsson is the current European champion and her rink has won silver at the last two world championships.
“She has as much talent as Anette, definitely,” Sweden coach Peja Lindholm told The Associated Press. “I mean, she’s been a top-level international for the last three years. She won’t be too shaky in Sochi, that’s for sure.”
Sigfridsson will have serious competition as she looks to take over from Norberg as curling’s latest “Ice Queen.”
Eve Muirhead of Britain has already captured European and world titles to add to her four victories at the world junior championships - can she top the lot by winning Olympic gold by the age of 23?
Here are five things to know about the women’s tournament:
They met in the world championship final in March, the European championship final in November and are favored to reach the Olympic final on Feb. 20.
They will be able to size each other up immediately in Sochi after Sweden was drawn to play Britain in the first round-robin session on Feb. 10. Both skips will be looking to make a statement ahead of a possible rematch 10 days later.
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq