- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
Austria needs new flag bearer as Raich delays trip
Question of the Day
VIENNA (AP) - Austria is in need of a new flag bearer for Friday’s opening ceremony at the Winter Olympics as Alpine skier Benjamin Raich has delayed his trip to Sochi.
Raich will skip the Feb. 14 super-combined, the Austrian Olympic Committee said Monday, which leaves the giant slalom five days later as his first event.
“I will fully focus on the giant slalom and the slalom, so I will travel to Russia one week later than initially planned,” Raich said in an AOC statement.
Raich’s start in the super-combined had already been doubtful for weeks because of the skier’s persistent back problems.
The injury also prevented the 35-year-old Austrian from competing in a World Cup super-combined in Wengen, Switzerland, on Jan. 17, which was his last chance to meet the Olympic qualifying criteria for the discipline set by FIS.
However, the sport’s governing body granted him exception on medical grounds and allowed him a start in the Olympic race.
The AOC will announce a new flag bearer on Thursday.
It will be the committee’s third choice after initially considering three-time Olympic ski jump champion Thomas Morgenstern, the country’s most decorated Olympian in Sochi.
However, Morgenstern is recovering from a ski flying crash and needs rest ahead of the qualification for the normal hill competition on Saturday, the day after the opening ceremony.
It's yet another example of his lack of transparency
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly cancelled
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Costco to re-stock Dinesh D'Souza's 'America' after public outry
- Obama bests Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper in pool match
- CARSON: Health savings accounts far better than Obamacare
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Court orders Chicago to pay NRA's legal fees
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener