Bail stays at $2M for man accused in wife’s death

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) - Bail will remain at $2 million for a northern New Jersey man accused of fatally beating his wife during an argument at their home last week.

Thomas Fabbricatore’s lawyer, Frank Lucianna, had sought a lower bail during a court hearing held Monday, claiming the amount was excessive. He also noted his client has no prior criminal record and said his strong ties to Bergen County make it unlikely that he would flee to avoid prosecution.

But The Record (http://bit.ly/1gHbSSw) reports that state Superior Court Judge Liliana DeAvila-Silebi denied the request, citing Fabbricatore’s long history of domestic violence against his wife and other issues.

Fabbricatore has pleaded not guilty to murder charges. The 65-year-old Hackensack resident initially was charged with attempted murder, but the charge was upgraded after his 58-year-old wife, Beth, died from her injuries.

He faces life in prison if convicted.

Lucianna has said Thomas Fabbricatore didn’t intend to hurt his wife, saying she accidentally fell down a flight of stairs and hit her head when they pushed each other during a “domestic spat” on Nov. 12.

Authorities responded to the couple’s home that day after receiving an anonymous tip. They said Thomas Fabbricatore told them there was nothing wrong, but police found his wife on the floor with grave injuries.

Bergen County prosecutors have said the defense is downplaying the incident.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks