- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t call San Francisco ‘Frisco’
Jennifer Harper is “Inside the Beltway,” but she surely would be an outsider among natives of San Francisco, for calling the city “Frisco” (“Inside the Beltway: So are you already dreaming of CPAC?” Web, Jan. 28).
Tony Bennett did not sing “I Left My Heart in Frisco,” he sang “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.” Herb Caen, the beloved columnist for The San Francisco Chronicle and chronicler of all things San Francisco, even wrote a book titled “Don’t Call It Frisco,” in which he wrote “‘Frisco’ shows disrespect” and “only tourists call it ‘Frisco.’”
Oh, and he also exhorted us to “never stop correcting,” never stop saying, “Don’t call it Frisco.”
As for me, I traveled an inconvenient distance so that both of my children would be born in San Francisco.
LOUISE C.G. CALDWELL
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back vs. phony 'war on women'
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Recent Brandeis choices disgraceful
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: A Carson 'apology' to Obama
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws