- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Bomb, shooting in Egypt kills 2 police officers
- Tenn. woman receives two-year sentence for stealing $364K meant for homeless veterans
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Instead of banning marijuana, tax it
Your Jan. 29 editorial, “The president of pot,” makes the common mistake of assuming that marijuana prohibition deters marijuana use. If the goal of marijuana prohibition is to subsidize violent drug cartels, prohibition is a grand success.
The drug war distorts supply-and-demand dynamics so that big money grows on little trees. If the goal is to deter use, marijuana prohibition is a catastrophic failure.
The United States has almost twice as much marijuana use as the Netherlands, where the possession of less than five grams of marijuana has been decriminalized.
The criminalization of Americans who prefer marijuana to martinis has no basis in science. The war on marijuana consumers is a failed cultural inquisition, not an evidence-based public health campaign.
It’s time to stop the pointless arrests and instead tax legal marijuana.
Common Sense for Drug Policy
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Downsize bloated National Park Service
- EDITORIAL: Court strikes blow for campus colorblindness on affirmative action
- EDITORIAL: Voting with one's feet shows folly of liberal economic policies
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pelosi's foot-washing backwash
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: When disobeying orders saves lives
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Justice Dept.'s new clemency guidelines: Crack offenders most obvious candidates
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'