- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
MILLER: Bloomberg group blasts billboard ‘assault rifle’ as American as apple pie and baseball
Slide Fire shows Chicago that guns are normal and safe for law-abiding
Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense, which is funded by New York City billionaire Mike Bloomberg, wants billboards taken down for depicting “assault rifles” as being as American as apple pie and baseball. The ad for Slide Fire, a firearms parts manufacturer in Texas, is up in several cities, including Chicago.
Nicole Chen, the head of the gun-control group’s Illinois chapter, said she was “shocked” that the ad “removes ‘mom’ from the idiom ‘as American as baseball, apple pie and mom,’ and replaces it with an assault rifle.”
Ms. Chen added that, “It’s particularly upsetting that children in Chicago, a city that has struggled horribly with gun violence, are being exposed to such a harmful message.”
The billboard says “Pure American” under three photos of a baseball glove, a pie and an AR-type rifle. The ad copy and design was done in-house by Slide Fire.
The manufacturer deliberately chose President Obama’s hometown for one of its billboards because of the city’s high crime rate and extremely restrictive gun-control laws.
“We specifically put the ad up there to show that a firearm is normal Americana. We have to stop allowing a small group of anti-gun people dictate how we think about guns.”
Lawrence Keane, general counsel of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, which represents firearms manufacturers, pointed out that, “The modern sporting rifle depicted is by definition not an ‘assault rifle.’ We wish anti-gun groups wouldn’t purposely mislead the public when they exercise their right to free speak.”
An “assault rifle” is a fully automatic weapon that shoots ammunition as long as the trigger is pulled. Anti-gun groups adopted the term to describe any rifle with certain ergonomic features.
Slide Fire manufacturers the Slide Stock, which is a replacement stock on a rifle that allows you to shoot faster. The slide lets the user “bump fire” from the shoulder, which means using the recoil of the firearm to pull the trigger faster.
The feature has been controversial because gun-control advocates such as Sen. Dianne Feinstein wrongly say that it converts a semi-automatic gun into an automatic one.
In fact, the gun owner must still pull the trigger each time to release one round and use a complicated physical technique to shoot faster. The ATF approved the feature for manufacture and sale.
However, Ms. Shackelford said the “Pure American” campaign is about promoting Second Amendment rights more than their product.
“We are all law-abiding citizens who are sick of being told that it’s abnormal or scary to own a firearm,” she said. “These gun-control groups are not making anyone safer, but just stoking irrational fears of the unknown.”
She pointed out that, as far as symbols of America go, guns are older than either baseball or apple pies. Ms. Shackelford explained that, “Firearms are the reason we are American citizens today. And it’s why the Constitution includes the Second Amendment.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
Get Breaking Alerts
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable