- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
VA hospital lax on surgery deaths: report
Key officials at a Veterans Affairs hospital in Kentucky never met to review patient records over what was behind an unusual number of deaths during surgery in the first half of 2013, federal investigators said.
Despite several deaths occurring during surgery between January and July 2013, the Surgical Committee at the Lexington VA Medical Center never met to investigate what happened, said the VA’s internal watchdog, the Inspector General, in a report released Monday.
“There was no evidence that any of the deaths were reviewed by the facility’s Surgical Committee,” investigators said.
Emma Metcalf, the director of the medical center, said the Surgical Committee began monthly meetings in October to review fatalities.
“We have already been actively working on improvements,” she said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Phillip Swarts is an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covering fiscal waste, fraud and political ethics. He is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and previously worked as an investigative reporter for the Washington Guardian. Phillip can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post office may have sold off valuable art, properties
- HHS Secretary Sebelius lobbied private companies for Obamacare support, investigation finds
- Sebelius pressured major corporations to support Obamacare
- Golden Hammer: Easter candy bitter taste for taxpayers?
- GOLDEN HAMMER: Bad Easter candy? Government sugar subsidies cost taxpayers millions
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014