- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
Amnesty Intl says Haiti camp residents, cops clash
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - An international advocacy group says Haitian police clashed with hundreds of residents in a camp for people displaced by the 2010 earthquake.
Amnesty International said Tuesday that officers showed up at the makeshift settlement north of Port-au-Prince and fired their weapons in the air while ordering people to vacate.
Residents responded by blocking a highway, and police used tear gas to disperse the crowd, but no one was evicted. Amnesty said two people were treated after being beaten by police.
The apparent effort to evict people from the settlement known as Canaan began in December when Haitian authorities first showed up and told people to leave. It’s not clear who owns the land.
Canaan is one of hundreds informal camps that emerged in the aftermath of Haiti’s devastating 2010 earthquake.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- John Edwards back in court this time as a lawyer for Va. boy's malpractice case
- Pentagon extends deployment of fighter jets to Poland
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.