- Freak lightning storm kills 1, injures many on California beach
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
HURT: Immigration will kill GOP, but only if it goes along with amnesty
Question of the Day
Immigration as a top concern for American voters polls somewhere around 2 or 3 percent, according to the latest Gallup survey. That is right down there with “lack of respect for each other” and “hunger.”
And remember, a good portion of that 2 or 3 percent who consider immigration their most pressing issue do so because they want the federal government to simply do its job and enforce its own immigration laws and protect the borders.
So, why is it that Republican leaders in Washington have suddenly thrust immigration into the spotlight and made it the most pressing issue in the land?
Even more alarming, why have these Republican leaders suddenly become seized with the illegal desire to make an illegal grand bargain with Democrats in Congress to grant illegal amnesty to some 12 million illegal aliens residing illegally in our country right now? (Notice a theme here?)
With the war on terrorism winding down and the “war on women” over, has the GOP launched a war on Republicans? So it would seem.
Republican leaders in Congress would have you believe that if they do not embrace amnesty for all these millions of illegal aliens, then the only (slightly) sane political party left in America will be washed away. It will be overcome by waves and waves of new Hispanic voters who shun the xenophobic and glaringly white Republican Party. The Grand Old Party will become the Extinct Old Party.
Such are the scary, noxious potions that Republican strategists, pollsters and demographers have been whipping up for years. Then they make gazillions of dollars by unveiling them to party leaders in private and scaring the living hell out of them.
They are the global warmists of the Republican Party.
And, just like with the global warmists, it all comes down to power. These people would rather maintain their grip on a shattered party than lose control of an ascendant party. And, of course, scaring the crap out of people is a very good way to make lots and lots of money. Just ask Albert Gore Jr.
If the Republican Party really is headed over a cliff to certain annihilation, why does it appear set to continue picking up seats in the U.S. Senate this year? And why is it that the Republicans whom voters have been sending to the Senate in recent years have become increasingly conservative?
If the party is on the precipice of doom, why are so many veteran Democratic lawmakers, including some of Nancy Pelosi’s most trusted lieutenants, bailing from Congress? Is it because they think they are poised to resume the committee chairmanships that took them decades to earn in the first place?
The sad truth is that Democratic voters are ably represented by their party’s leaders in Washington. Large corporations hungry for cheap labor are brilliantly represented by Republican leaders. Hell, even the illegal aliens who are not allowed to vote are amply represented in Washington — by both parties.
The only suckers who don’t have a seat at the table are the American people, the taxpayers and workers.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Former Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's trial to test definitions of political corruption
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq