- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
- GOP outraged Obamacare investigators able to get coverage with fake IDs
LOVERRO: He’s no relic, but Jim Fassel sits at home while Jay Gruden gets his shot
Question of the Day
What might have happened if Fassel had been hired? No one would claim it would have guaranteed a path to the Super Bowl.
Fassel, with Giants teams with little talent, managed to put together a 58-53-1 record over eight seasons in New York. He had just two Pro Bowl players on that 2000 NFC championship squad. It’s not unreasonable to think that the last six years in Washington would have been better under Fassel than Zorn and Shanahan.
The Redskins debacle seemed to doom Fassel. He wound up coaching in the UFL, where he was a two-time league champion as coach of the Las Vegas Locomotives. He lost the 2011 UFL title to former Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer.
“I like Jay,” Fassel said. “We beat them [Florida] when Haslett was the head coach and Jay was the offensive coordinator. And we beat them again when Jay was the head coach. … I really like Jay. … Is it a good hire? … I would first go to a guy who has done the job.
“I like Jay,” he said again. “When we played against Florida, they were well-prepared, and I thought he had the right demeanor to be the head coach.”
• Thom Loverro is co-host of “The Sports Fix,” noon to 2 p.m. daily on ESPN 980 radio and espn980.com
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: CBS Sports leaves broadcasters hanging in Redskins name debate
- LOVERRO: Who are the men behind D.C. 2024 curtain?
- LOVERRO: Ian Desmond could follow Jeter model in D.C.
- LOVERRO: Red Klotz an unquestioned winner despite 14,000 losses
- LOVERRO: As King James returns home, all is forgiven
Latest Blog Entries
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hezbollah warring in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Pro-Russia rebel commander suggests passengers died days before Malaysian flight
- TYRRELL: The birth of a new alignment in the Middle East
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq