- Associated Press - Tuesday, February 4, 2014

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill. (AP) - An East St. Louis man who was exonerated of rape charges has filed a federal lawsuit against the city and a former police detective he says beat him into a false confession.

The Belleville News-Democrat reports (http://bit.ly/MYdACg) Marlon Miller was arrested in February 2013 in the robbery and rape of a 32-year-old East St. Louis woman. The attack occurred after the woman left a MetroLink train in East St. Louis on Jan. 29, 2013.

The lawsuit alleges former East St. Louis Detective Orlando Ward struck him several times out of the view of police recording devices.

DNA tests absolved Miller of the crime after he was in custody for several months and led to the arrest of another man.

Ward couldn’t be reached for comment Tuesday. However, East St. Louis Police Chief Michael Floore has previously denied Miller’s allegations, saying inmates are continuously videotaped while in custody.

“East St. Louis’ response that coercion is impossible because the confession was videotaped is preposterous,” said Miller’s attorney, Jarrod Beasley. “The idea that the interrogating officer would coerce a confession out of Mr. Miller in an area he knows is wired for sound and video defies logic. We should remember, the officers know where and when they are being recorded … and where they are not.”

Ward pleaded guilty in November to two federal counts of cocaine-related drug charges and faces up to nine years in prison. He resigned from the East St. Louis Police Department in May.

Miller was charged with aggravated battery and aggravated unlawful use of a firearm stemming from an Aug. 29 arrest, according to St. Clair County records.

___

Information from: Belleville News-Democrat, http://www.bnd.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide