- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
News from around Wisconsin at 5:28 a.m. CST
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
SUPERIOR, Wis. (AP) - Jury deliberations began Tuesday in the trial of a Wisconsin pediatrician accused of sexually assaulting more than a dozen male patients during medical exams.
Dr. David Van de Loo, a former adolescent and sports medicine specialist in Eau Claire, is facing 16 charges that include multiple child sex assault counts. Prosecutors accuse him of having sexual contact with 15 boys under the guise of medical exams, but Van de Loo and his defense attorneys told jurors that all the contact was medically appropriate.
Jurors deliberated for about two hours before recessing Tuesday evening, the Leader-Telegram reported (http://bit.ly/Msb06ohttp://bit.ly/Msb06o ). They are expected to resume their discussions Wednesday morning.
“He’s doing it because he enjoys the power and control he has over these children,” Cattanach, one of two prosecutors arguing the case, told jurors. “This is sexual in every way, shape and form.”
She added later: “Show these kids they did nothing wrong.”
Defense attorney Stephen Hurley said none of the alleged victims were lying during their testimony. But he argued that over time, the Mayo Clinic Health System, the boys’ parents and the media led the boys to believe they had been sexually assaulted.
MADISON, Wis. (AP) - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources says a company planning a huge iron mine near Mellen doesn’t need an air permit to take bulk mineral samples.
Gogebic Taconite asked the DNR for a permit exemption in December. The DNR on Tuesday released a letter to company President Bill Williams agreeing that sampling activities are exempt from air permit and construction permit requirements. The letter noted the company has estimated air emissions should be within acceptable limits.
The company will have to maintain records of actual emissions for at least five years, however.
The letter was dated Monday.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon but not vegan label
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes