- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Lyon reaches French League Cup final
Question of the Day
LYON, France (AP) - Lyon beat second-division Troyes 2-1 in the French League Cup semifinals on Wednesday to line up Paris Saint-Germain.
Lyon reached the final for the fifth time, but it has won the competition only once, in 2001.
Troyes capitalized on some poor marking to pull one back in the 35th with a close-range effort from Brazilian midfielder Xavier Thiago.
“It was important to do anything to go through,” Lyon midfielder Maxime Gonalons said.
Lyon, sixth in the league, was without playmakers Yoann Gourcuff, carrying a groin injury, and Clement Grenier, who was suspended.
The hosts took the lead when Lacazette converted a low cross from right back Mehdi Zeffane with a first-time effort from 14 meters.
Troyes, a mid-table team in the second division, went close in the 34th with Benjamin Nivet, whose shot Dreyer tipped over the bar.
A minute later, Thiago cut Lyon’s lead to 2-1 by chesting down a corner to slam the ball into the roof of the net.
Lyon had two goals disallowed for offside in the second half, but it managed to protect its lead as goalkeeper Anthony Lopes stopped a diving header from Troyes substitute Georges Gope-Fenepej in the 87th.
“We have nothing to be ashamed of,” Troyes striker Ghislain Gimbert said. “We came here and played our game.”
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Michael Moore, movie-making critic of capitalism, has nine homes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq