SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Eleven Illinois athletes are competing in the Winter Olympics that begin Thursday in Sochi, Russia. Here’s a look at the Illinois members of the U.S. Olympic team.
- Megan Bozek, 22, hockey, Buffalo Grove: A member of the U.S. women’s national ice hockey team. This is her first Olympics. Attended University of Minnesota.
- Jason Brown, 19, figure skating, Highland Park: Has medaled in national and world championships. This is his first Olympics. Student at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs.
- Shani Davis, 31, speed skating, Chicago: Two-time Olympic gold medalist in 2006 and 2010. Two-time Olympic silver medalist in 2006 and 2010. This is his third Olympics.
- Aja Evans, 25, bobsled, Chicago: Competed in track and field at the University of Illinois. This is her first Olympics.
- Gracie Gold, 18, figure skating, Chatham: U.S. national champion in 2014. This is her first Olympics.
- Brian Hansen, 23, speed skating, Glenview: Team silver medalist at the 2010 Olympic games. Attends Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wis.
- Jonathan Kuck, 23, speed skating, Champaign: Team silver medalist at the 2010 Olympic games. University of Illinois physics major.
- Emery Lehman, 17, speed skating, Oak Park: This is his first Olympics. Senior at Oak Park and River Forest High School.
- Patrick Meek, 28, speed skating, Northbrook: Participated in 2006 and 2010 Olympic trials. This is his first Olympics. University of Utah graduate.
- Ann Swisshelm, 45, curling, Chicago: National and world curling champion. Competed in 2002 Olympics. Drake University graduate.
Source: Office of Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn.