- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Williams, Astros finalize $2.1 million contract
Question of the Day
The 32-year-old was 9-10 with a 4.57 ERA in 25 starts and 12 relief appearances last year for the Los Angeles Angels, including a 4-0 record in five September starts. He has a 42-47 record and 4.35 ERA in eight seasons with San Francisco (2003-05), the Chicago Cubs (2005-06), Washington (2007) and the Angels.
The deal was completed Thursday, two days after the sides reach the agreement.
In addition to the guaranteed salary, Williams can earn an additional $1 million in performance bonuses - receiving the greater amount he earns either for starts or innings. He would get $200,000 apiece for 12, 15, 20, 25, 30 starts, and $100,000 each for 120 innings and every 10 additional innings through 210.
To make room on the roster, the Astros designated infielder Brett Wallace for assignment. The 27-year-old, a first-round draft pick by St. Louis in 2008, had spent four seasons with the Astros and hit .221 last year when he set career bests with 13 homers and 36 RBIs.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Inside China: Massive flight woes and a missile test
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq