- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
Dino-chicken? Scientists fix fowl with fake tails to strut like dinosaurs
Ever wondered what a chicken looks like with a dinosaur tail strapped to its back?
A group of scientists studied how the birds walked when they had an artificial tail attached to simulate dinosaurs. As the closest living relatives to the ancient reptiles, the researchers hope watching the chickens strut around with a faux tail will give them some idea how dinosaurs moved.
“Birds still share many traits with their dinosaur ancestors, making them the best living group to reconstruct certain aspects of non-avian theropod biology,” said the paper published Wednesday.
The scientists, who received funding from the Chilean government, theorize that changes in creatures’ center of gravity shifted locomotion from the hip-drive walking pattern of dinosaurs to the more knee-drive limb movement of modern day chickens.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Phillip Swarts is an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covering fiscal waste, fraud and political ethics. He is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and previously worked as an investigative reporter for the Washington Guardian. Phillip can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post office may have sold off valuable art, properties
- HHS Secretary Sebelius lobbied private companies for Obamacare support, investigation finds
- Sebelius pressured major corporations to support Obamacare
- Golden Hammer: Easter candy bitter taste for taxpayers?
- GOLDEN HAMMER: Bad Easter candy? Government sugar subsidies cost taxpayers millions
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014