- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Dino-chicken? Scientists fix fowl with fake tails to strut like dinosaurs
Ever wondered what a chicken looks like with a dinosaur tail strapped to its back?
A group of scientists studied how the birds walked when they had an artificial tail attached to simulate dinosaurs. As the closest living relatives to the ancient reptiles, the researchers hope watching the chickens strut around with a faux tail will give them some idea how dinosaurs moved.
“Birds still share many traits with their dinosaur ancestors, making them the best living group to reconstruct certain aspects of non-avian theropod biology,” said the paper published Wednesday.
The scientists, who received funding from the Chilean government, theorize that changes in creatures’ center of gravity shifted locomotion from the hip-drive walking pattern of dinosaurs to the more knee-drive limb movement of modern day chickens.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Phillip Swarts is an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covering fiscal waste, fraud and political ethics. He is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and previously worked as an investigative reporter for the Washington Guardian. Phillip can be reached at email@example.com.
- CPAC 2014: Conservatives say Ukraine crisis fueled by Obama weakness, 'diplomatic babble'
- Golden Hammer: Feds spend millions to train executives in luxury
- Obamacare harbinger? One-third of nursing home patients suffer from medical errors
- Pilot shortage could put strain on airline industry: report
- Golden Hammer: Watchdog says power plant cost overruns poorly managed
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- FIELDS: Oscars' fantasy on the Left Coast
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again