- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Dino-chicken? Scientists fix fowl with fake tails to strut like dinosaurs
Ever wondered what a chicken looks like with a dinosaur tail strapped to its back?
A group of scientists studied how the birds walked when they had an artificial tail attached to simulate dinosaurs. As the closest living relatives to the ancient reptiles, the researchers hope watching the chickens strut around with a faux tail will give them some idea how dinosaurs moved.
“Birds still share many traits with their dinosaur ancestors, making them the best living group to reconstruct certain aspects of non-avian theropod biology,” said the paper published Wednesday.
The scientists, who received funding from the Chilean government, theorize that changes in creatures’ center of gravity shifted locomotion from the hip-drive walking pattern of dinosaurs to the more knee-drive limb movement of modern day chickens.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Phillip Swarts is an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covering fiscal waste, fraud and political ethics. He is a graduate of the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University and previously worked as an investigative reporter for the Washington Guardian. Phillip can be reached at email@example.com.
- Golden Hammer: Easter candy bitter taste for taxpayers?
- GOLDEN HAMMER: Bad Easter candy? Government sugar subsidies cost taxpayers millions
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- EPA didn't track own air pollution program — report
- Naval cruiser planned for retirement now headed back to work
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.