- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court issues no ruling on case challenging N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
SOCHI SCENE: Lots of goodies
SOCHI, Russia (AP) - U.S. figure skater Jason Brown just doubled his shoe collection.
The 19-year-old figure skater, a first-time Olympian, found it “surreal” when he received all of his gear for the Sochi Games. Included in that bounty for finishing second at the national championships were four pair of shoes; he had owned only three beforehand.
“I was still in shock mode,” he said of getting all kinds of clothing, luggage and the other spoils of making the team. “You’re an Olympian. It’s definitely hitting me more and more.”
The suitcases came in handy, and Brown “ended up shipping a lot of stuff home.”
Brown will compete in the team free skate Sunday, then in the men’s individual event later next week. He has 18 family members either now in Sochi or coming to see him compete. His parents used air miles to book plane reservations months ago on the chance he would make the U.S. team.
- Barry Wilner - Twitter: http://twitter.com/wilner88
Associated Press reporters will be filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.