- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
SOCHI SCENE: ‘Ugly Americans’?
SOCHI, Russia (AP) - The Ugly Americans are out in force at these Winter Games, and it has nothing to do with their behavior.
Team USA made the rounds in the opening ceremony at Fisht Stadium wearing white turtlenecks under gaudy Navy blue cardigan sweaters. Nearly every inch of the sweaters were covered by stars, stripes or patches of stars and stripes. It was vintage Ralph Lauren style, and it was widely panned on social media.
Many observers likened them to ugly Christmas sweaters, which have become a popular holiday staple in the United States. But unlike those parties, there was nothing tongue-in-cheek about these.
American skier Nick Goepper dubbed the festivities the “Opening Sweatermonies.” Shortly before the event, he tweeted a photo of him and three teammates with their turtlenecks pulled up around to conceal their faces. Sorry, Nick. Nowhere to hide.
— Jon Krawczynski — Twitter http://twitter.com/APKrawczynski
Associated Press reporters will be filing dispatches about happenings in and around Sochi during the 2014 Winter Games. Follow AP journalists covering the Olympics on Twitter: http://apne.ws/1c3WMiu
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.