- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
Lea wins $500,000 Donn Handicap
Question of the Day
HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Lea held won the $500,000 Donn Handicap on Sunday, breaking the Gulfstream Park record for 1 1/8 miles in a 1 1/2-length victory over Will Take Charge.
The 5-year-old Lea, ridden by Joel Rosario and trained by Bill Mott, finished in 1:46.86 to break the record of 1:47.49 set by Quality Road in the 2010 Donn.
Making his 12th career start and third on a dirt track, Lea paid $13, $4.60 and $4. Will Take Charge returned $3.40 and $2.80, and Viramundo paid $11.80 to show.
Will Take Charge, the 2013 eclipse Award winner for 3-year-olds, pulled within three lengths entering the stretch, but Lea continued his strong run to the wire. Lea came into the Donn off a win in the mile Hal’s Hope at Gulfstream on Jan. 11.
“You don’t ever want to be too overconfident,” Mott said. “I felt he was capable, but of course the competition was stiff. We were in against a champion, and we were good enough to beat him today.”
Also, 39-1 shot Lochte beat Imagining by 2 3/4 lengths in the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap,. and Groupie Doll, a two-time Eclipse Award winner, closed out her racing career with a seven-length win over Five Star Momma in the $200,000 Hurricane Bertie.
Groupie Doll set a stakes record of 1:14.44 in the 6½-furlong dirt race. Ridden by Rajiv Maragh, she paid $2.80, $2.40 and $2.10.
Groupie Doll won the Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint in 2012 and 2013 and for both years won the Eclipse Award for Female sprinters.
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Murdered teen texted boyfriend: 'OMG ... I think I'm being kidnapped'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world