- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Joe Biden praises the late Ariel Sharon at memorial service in Israel
Question of the Day
President Obama may have come off as lukewarm in his praise for the late Ariel Sharon, but Vice President Joseph R. Biden on Monday praised the late Israeli prime minister in a 17-minute eulogy that included quotations from Shakespeare, the Book of Genesis and Irish novelist James Joyce.
Speaking at a memorial service for Sharon, who died Saturday at the age of 85, Mr. Biden said the former prime minister possessed “incredible physical courage” along with equal “political courage” and dedicated his life to his country.
“Prime Minister Sharon was a complex man … but like all historic leaders, all real leaders, he had a north star that guided him,” Mr. Biden said. “A north star from which he never, in my observation, never deviated. His north star was the survival of the state of Israel and the Jewish people, wherever they resided.”
“It was anything but inevitable. It was the opposite of inevitable. Israel’s very survival was against all odds,” Mr. Biden. “Historians will look back and say but for the rare and unique men and women at that moment [such as Mr. Sharon], but for that, it’s hard to see how we’d be standing here on this day.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Ben Wolfgang covers the White House for The Washington Times.
Before joining the Times in March 2011, Ben spent four years as a political reporter at the Republican-Herald in Pottsville, Pa.
He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Obama to Republicans: 'Stop just hatin' all the time'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- EPA hears testimony on proposed carbon emissions rules
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors