- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Train hits man in Durham and body in Greensboro
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - Officials say an Amtrak train en route from Raleigh to Charlotte was delayed twice after hitting pedestrians on the tracks in both Durham and Greensboro.
The delay left some people who attended the Carolina Panthers game with the San Francisco stuck in Charlotte until buses could be found to take them home.
“I was expecting to be home at 8:47 (p.m.), then drive from Raleigh to my house in 15 to 20 minutes, be in bed with my loving wife at 9:20 (p.m.) and now here we’re stuck still in Charlotte,” Steve Berry told WSOC-TV.
Officials say a man was struck around 12:30 p.m. Sunday on a railroad bridge in Durham by the Piedmont 75 train heading to Charlotte.
No one on the train was hurt.
The man’s name has not been released.
Police say the same train later hit a body in Greensboro.
Greensboro police said a man was hit by an east-bound train around 4:15 p.m. Sunday on a track near Interstate 40. The body was hit moments later by the west-bound Piedmont 75 train from Durham to Charlotte.
His name has not been released while relatives are notified.
Police and Norfolk Southern Railroad are investigating the deaths.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again