- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
5 Things to Know in Florida for Jan. 15
Question of the Day
Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
3 VIE FOR GOP NOMINATION IN CONGRESSIONAL SEAT
Three Republican candidates are running to fill the congressional seat of U.S. Rep. C.W. Bill Young, who spent 43 years in Congress and passed away in October. The special primary election is being held Tuesday. Whoever wins Tuesday’s primary will face Democrat Alex Sink and Libertarian Lucas Overby in the March 11 general election. The GOP candidates are Mark Bircher, David Jolly and Kathleen Peters.
OFFICIALS: DAD THREW TODDLER OVER HOTEL BALCONY
Authorities say a father threw his 2-year-old son off a second-floor, hotel balcony in central Florida before jumping himself. Kissimmee police responded to the Budget Inn around 2 a.m. Tuesday. A Department of Children and Families news release says Juan Pablo Maradiaga will face an attempted murder charge. DCF says the toddler suffered multiple injuries including several fractures, but is expected to recover.
OBAMA HONORS MIAMI HEAT FOR 2ND STRAIGHT NBA TITLE
President Barack Obama has congratulated the NBA champion Miami Heat for showing the “heart and determination” it takes to sit atop the league. It was a return visit to the White House for the team on Tuesday, in honor of its second straight NBA title. Before arriving at the White House, the players visited with wounded service members recuperating at an area military hospital.
GOV. RICK SCOTT NAMES LOPEZ-CANTERA AS LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR
Florida Gov. Rick Scott named Miami-Dade Property Appraiser Carlos Lopez-Cantera as the state’s next lieutenant governor. Scott made the announcement on Tuesday in Miami.
FAMILY OF FORMER FLORIDA A&M; FOOTBALL PLAYER SUES POLICE
Attorneys for the family of a former Florida A&M; football player fatally shot by police officers in North Carolina say the department used excessive force. They’ve filed a lawsuit against the Charlotte police. The man had knocked on a door after wrecking his car, but the homeowner thought he was a robber and called 911.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- BERMAN & MADYOON: An Iranian-Turkish reset
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- Ron Paul: U.S. partly to blame for Malaysia Airlines disaster
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Gen. James Amos, Marine Corps commandant, slams Obama's handling of Iraq
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq