- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Ex-US Rep. Rick Renzi’s prison sentence is delayed
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Ex-U.S. Rep. Rick Renzi has filed an appeal that delays the start of his three-year prison sentence on convictions of public corruption and money laundering charges.
Renzi’s lawyers have filed a motion asking the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to overturn a trial judge who refused to allow the former Republican congressman to remain on bail while he appeals his convictions.
The filing automatically delays Renzi’s surrender date, which had been set for Monday after he previously won a week’s delay.
David Madden, a spokesman for the 9th Circuit, said a panel of judges will consider the motion after defense and prosecution lawyers file legal briefs in the next several weeks.
Renzi represented Arizona’s 1st Congressional District from early 2003 until early 2009.
US. District Judge David Bury on Jan. 7 rejected Renzi’s bail request, saying he hadn’t raised a substantial question of law or fact likely to result in a reversal of his convictions or a new trial.
The motion filed Monday with the 9th Circuit said Bury used the wrong legal standard.
Renzi was accused of using his office for personal financial gain through a proposed land exchange involving a co-defendant and of looting a family insurance business to help fund his 2002 campaign.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.