- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Murray wins 1st-round match at Australian Open
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Wimbledon champion Andy Murray showed little evidence of a three-month layoff due to a back injury to beat Go Soeda of Japan 6-1, 6-1, 6-3 Tuesday in a first-round match at the Australian Open.
He did not face a break point on his serve, and took advantage of six of his 13 break-point opportunities.
No. 4-ranked Murray has only played two official matches since minor back surgery in September, and said he needs to work his way into the tournament.
He played in the late afternoon on Hisense Arena, when temperatures slowly started falling after a peak of 42 Celsius (108 Fahrenheit) at Melbourne Park
“The air is so hot and a lot of players are struggling out there today,” Murray said. “I’m just glad to get through quickly.”
Murray has reached three Australian Open finals but is yet to win the season’s first major. Since hiring Ivan Lendl as coach, though, he has made his Grand Slam breakthroughs with titles at 2012 U.S. Open and 2013 Wimbledon ending droughts stretching back to the 1930s for British men at the majors.
“I’m obviously more confident than I was a few years ago but I’m just lacking match practice,” Murray said. “I’m desperate to try and win here.
“I’ve had a lot of near misses, I’ve played some of the best tennis of my career here, but it hasn’t been good enough yet.”
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.