- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
- Aaron Hernandez investigated for threatening to kill prison guard
- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
Spending bill has funds to open Thomson prison
WASHINGTON (AP) - The massive spending bill worked out by congressional negotiators includes money to open the Thomson prison in northwestern Illinois.
The state owned the facility for about a decade but never fully opened it because of budget problems. The federal government bought it for $165 million in 2012.
U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos announced Monday that the money is included in the appropriations bill filed this week in the House and Senate.
Federal Bureau of Prisons Director Charles Samuels says Thomson is needed to reduce overcrowding at high-security federal prisons.
Durbin says it will also bring hundreds of jobs.
It won’t be fully operational until after renovations that are expected to cost $25 million and take two years. Another $170 million is needed for equipment and staffing.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes