- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
5 Things to Know in Florida for Jan. 16
Question of the Day
Your daily look at news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today.
BLACK LEGISLATORS CANCEL MEETING WITH FLORIDA GOVERNOR
Florida’s black state legislators are saying that it would be a waste of time to meet with Gov. Rick Scott. The Florida Legislative Black Caucus requested a meeting with the Republican governor. But the group on Wednesday abruptly cancelled the meeting just hours ahead of time. Members of the group concluded that Scott had not addressed their concerns in the past.
PROSECUTOR: FLORIDA TOPS US IN ID THEFT, TAX FRAUD
Florida has the nation’s highest rate of identity theft, led by the fraud-wracked Miami area, and thieves are increasingly using the ill-gotten personal information to rip off the government through fraudulent tax refunds, a top federal prosecutor said Wednesday. The identity theft rate in Florida in 2012 was more than 361 complaints for every 100,000 residents, according to the most recent Federal Trade Commission data.
TAMPA COP STRUCK BY VEHICLE DURING INVESTIGATION
Authorities say a man is in custody after hitting a Tampa police captain with his vehicle. Police were investigating a tip Wednesday morning about the dealing of stolen merchandise and guns. After police boxed in a suspect’s vehicle, Captain Stephen Hartnett approached the vehicle. Police say 23-year-old Jaime Parchmon rammed a police car and tried to run over Hartnett. A second officer fired into Parchmon’s car.
COLD-STUNNED SEA TURTLES RELEASED
Dozens of endangered sea turtles that were recused during last week’s cold snap are being returned to the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of northwest Florida. About 50 turtles were tagged and released on Tuesday. Cold-stunned turtles become listless and may wash ashore, unable to move and vulnerable to attacks from other animals.
DOLPHINS HIRE EAGLES COACH AS OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
The Miami Dolphins have hired Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor as offensive coordinator, according to a source familiar with the situation. He will replace Mike Sherman, who was fired last week after two seasons. Lazor spent a year with the Eagles.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world