- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Court to consider Iowa woman’s death penalty trial
Question of the Day
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - An appeals court is set to hear arguments involving the death penalty retrial of Angela Johnson, the Iowa woman convicted of five drug-related slayings in 1993.
U.S. District Judge Mark Bennett in 2012 threw out death sentences given to Johnson in 2005 after finding deficiencies in her legal representation. Last year, Bennett ordered a new trial solely to determine whether Johnson should again be sentenced to death or life in prison without parole.
Federal prosecutors are asking the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to broaden the scope of the new trial. They say jurors should first hear the evidence on whether Johnson is eligible for death under federal law, and then decide what penalty to issue.
A three-judge panel will hear oral arguments Thursday afternoon in St. Louis.
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: For too many gays, 'tolerance' is a one-way street
- PRUDEN: Cooling the manufactured impeachment panic
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world