- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
LOVERRO: Burden on Peyton Manning in Tom Brady matchup
NFL conference weekend features the sort of matchup we love — the King Kong vs. Godzilla of quarterbacks in this football era.
It’s like when two great pitchers are matched up. Save for the obligatory at-bat by National League pitchers, while Stephen Strasburg vs. Clayton Kershaw might be the marquee battle, they don’t go against each other.
But we pit them against each other, and it’s difficult to believe that Manning doesn’t see it as a game between him and Brady. He may be throwing at Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib on Sunday, but he will be measured now and forever against Brady.
We don’t argue about Joe Montana vs. Lawrence Taylor. We do, though, passionately debate Montana vs. Dan Marino, or John Elway.
In those comparisons, Manning doesn’t fare well against his New England peer.
Brady has a postseason mark of 18-7 record. He’s been to five Super Bowls, and won three of them, twice being the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player.
Brady wins the playoff comparison.
In 16 seasons, Manning has 491 career touchdown passes, completing 5,532 passes in 8.452 attempts for 64,964 yards, and a 97.2 quarterback rating. He has won four NFL Most Valuable Player honors.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: Capitals' major challenge is finding someone who can win with Alex Ovechkin
- LOVERRO: Bo Belinsky, Sonny Liston share a cemetery - one found peace, the other didn't
- LOVERRO: Injured hand didn't keep Scott Christopher from a life of baseball and art
- LOVERRO: It's time for the Wizards to be bold and go get John Calipari
- LOVERRO: Gary Williams earned Hall of Fame through sweat equity
Latest Blog Entries
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.