- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
LOVERRO: Burden on Peyton Manning in Tom Brady matchup
Question of the Day
NFL conference weekend features the sort of matchup we love — the King Kong vs. Godzilla of quarterbacks in this football era.
It’s like when two great pitchers are matched up. Save for the obligatory at-bat by National League pitchers, while Stephen Strasburg vs. Clayton Kershaw might be the marquee battle, they don’t go against each other.
But we pit them against each other, and it’s difficult to believe that Manning doesn’t see it as a game between him and Brady. He may be throwing at Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib on Sunday, but he will be measured now and forever against Brady.
We don’t argue about Joe Montana vs. Lawrence Taylor. We do, though, passionately debate Montana vs. Dan Marino, or John Elway.
In those comparisons, Manning doesn’t fare well against his New England peer.
Brady has a postseason mark of 18-7 record. He’s been to five Super Bowls, and won three of them, twice being the Super Bowl Most Valuable Player.
Brady wins the playoff comparison.
In 16 seasons, Manning has 491 career touchdown passes, completing 5,532 passes in 8.452 attempts for 64,964 yards, and a 97.2 quarterback rating. He has won four NFL Most Valuable Player honors.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: The Patriots are coming to Redskins' training camp for the wrong reasons
- LOVERRO: Redskins should be great before declaring greatness
- LOVERRO: Hall of Fame is one birthday present A-Rod will never unwrap
- LOVERRO: These are Bruce Allen's Washington Redskins now
- LOVERRO: CBS Sports leaves broadcasters hanging in Redskins name debate
Latest Blog Entries
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world