- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Disappointing decline of D.C. fire department
I am a proud retired D.C. firefighter who is tired of the almost daily attempts by the administration of D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray and D.C. Fire Chief Kenneth B. Ellerbe to destroy the D.C. fire department, once considered the finest fire department in the country (“Buck stops with Chief Ellerbe,” Letters, Dec. 13).
The brave men and women of the D.C. fire department have been charged with protecting the most important city in the world. But over the past few years, inept leadership and obvious agendas have not only tarnished the department, they have jeopardized the safety of D.C. residents. I’m constantly scratching my head, wondering how this can be allowed to happen. This is our nation’s capital, after all.
Obviously, the current city administration has given Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy L. Lanier its blessings to use a wrecking ball on this once-proud and historic department.
Yet I would bet the first time a senator’s or congressman’s personal safety is compromised, heads will roll, and quick change will come.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
Get Breaking Alerts
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- CURL: Calm down, conservatives: Obama's 'Two Ferns' bit was brilliant
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- Obama pitches to middle class with overtime pay action
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Inside China: Why Putin's intervention in Ukraine is bad news for China
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: De Blasio doing disservice to 'underdog' students
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Anti-God humanism will ruin nation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Issue impeachment, not a toothless bill
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Put proof behind 'Bush lied' assertion
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wind power less harmful to wildlife