- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
BOEM seeks more detail in Shell Arctic drill plan
Question of the Day
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - A federal agency is again asking Royal Dutch Shell PLC for more details about drilling plans in the Chukchi (chuk-CHEE’) Sea off Alaska’s northwest coast.
Shell submitted a 2014 drilling plan Nov. 26. The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management requested additional information Dec. 20 and again Tuesday.
The company had been asked previously to provide information on modifications to its drill ship, the Noble Discoverer, to address deficiencies.
BOEM in the latest request asked Shell for assurances of management changes that previously had allowed the deficiencies to remain unresolved on the drill vessel.
The agency also wants technical information on how Shell concluded permafrost was not present in a pilot hole drilled in 2012.
Shell has not decided whether to drill in the Chukchi this year.
TWT Video Picks
Democrats reveal an identity crisis by pretending to be what they're not
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Google Glass-equipped rifles can fire around corners: It's 'mind-blowing when you actually do it'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs