- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
BRUCE: Bombastic arrogance or humble determination? Chris Christie’s choice
The impact of Bridgegate on the 2016 presidential election
Question of the Day
Mr. Christie so admired Mr. Springsteen that he admitted he cried after getting a hug from the musician when they met in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy.
I understand admiration, but this week offers up for Mr. Christie a certain light of day with which to determine what, and whom, should really matter. What an epiphany that would be, and it could even free him to embrace actual conservative policies.
People argue that Mr. Christie has to pander to liberals in order to win and govern New Jersey. Really? I remember a guy named Ronald Reagan winning New Jersey (and almost every other state) in 1980 and 1984, and he did it by believing in and articulating the conservative ideal.
The problem for the media and liberals is Bridgegate is likely the worst scandal they’ll get on Mr. Christie, and they played that card far too early. A door has now opened for him to not just survive the scandal, but to emerge as an even more appealing, and actually conservative national candidate.
I want as many great Republicans in the arena for 2016 as possible, and if we can add an enlightened Mr. Christie to that pool, terrific.
The more talented Reaganesque conservatives we have competing for the highest office in the land, the better chance we have of illustrating to Americans how the conservative ideal, not liberal lite, will save this nation.
Tammy Bruce is a radio talk-show host, New York Times best-selling author and Fox News political contributor.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages