- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
City weighs Sunday alcohol sales
OXFORD, Miss. (AP) - The Oxford Board of Aldermen is expected to once again consider an ordinance next week to allow Sunday alcohol sales in restaurants.
The Oxford Tourism Council voted this week to support the on-premises sale of beer, wine and liquor on every Sunday. The board of aldermen meets Tuesday.
After decades of a near-total ban on Sunday alcohol, the city in 2011 legalized Sunday sales by the drink on University of Mississippi home football weekends, Mother's Day and Father's Day, along with Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve when they occur on Sunday. Sunday hours are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Late last year, aldermen approved off-premises sales of light wine and beer every Sunday during the same hours.
Alderman Jay Hughes says a change would be good for restaurants.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again