- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
Mars mystery: ‘Jelly doughnut’ rock baffles NASA
Question of the Day
Mars may not have aliens, but it does have "jelly doughnut" rocks — and NASA scientists are baffled.
Speaking at a special event to honor the decades-long mission of the Mars Opportunity Rover, lead scientist Steve Squyres of Cornell University broke the news of the sudden appearance of the mystery rock and what it means for the red planet.
"It's about the size of a jelly doughnut," Mr. Squyres told Discovery News. "It was a total surprise, we were like 'wait a second, that wasn't there before, it can't be right. Oh my god! It wasn't there before!' We were absolutely startled."
Mr. Squyres believes that the odd specimen may have been unearthed by wheels of the Rover or the impact of a nearby meteorite.
"Mars keeps throwing new stuff at us," the scientist told Discovery. "It obligingly turned upside down, so we're seeing a side that hasn't seen the Martian atmosphere in billions of years and there it is for us to investigate. It's just a stroke of luck."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- Gen. Martin Dempsey: U.S. viewing decades-old Russian readiness plan
- Pentagon official: Syrian terrorism 'probably the number one threat' to U.S.
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq