- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
1st female Miss. National Guard general dies
Lutz was promoted to commander of the Mississippi Air National Guard in December 2011 after more than three decades of military service, becoming the first woman to hold such a high position within the state guard.
Her funeral is Monday at St. Joseph Catholic Church in Gluckstadt.
“Mississippi has lost a brave and accomplished soldier by the passing of Maj. Gen. Cathy Lutz,” Bryant said in a statement. “Deborah and I ask that Mississippians join us in praying for the Lutz family during this difficult time, and we ask God’s blessing on all military personnel and their families.”
Lutz leaves behind her husband, retired Maj. Gen. William Lutz.
“Please keep the Lutz family in your thoughts and prayers,” said Maj. Gen. Augustus Collins, adjutant general of Mississippi, who called Lutz “one of our nation’s premiere advocates for better health care for our soldiers and airmen.”
Lutz grew up in Jackson and was originally commissioned as a flight nurse in 1982.
She served as a Medical Service Corps officer and a member of the Air Force Reserve and served stints in Biloxi, Washington, D.C., and San Antonio.
Lutz graduated from Southern Miss in 1977 with a degree in nursing. She received a master of nursing administration from USM in 1985 and a doctorate in education from the University of Mississippi in 1998.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again