- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Antarctica sea passengers stranded in ice are finally being freed
Passengers aboard a Russian research ship that’s been stuck in Antarctica ice for more than a week were finally getting rescued on Thursday, as a helicopter mission began airlifting them to the safety of a nearby vessel.
Weather conditions, including blizzard winds and snow, thwarted previous attempts to rescue the dozens aboard the Akademik Shokalski. But the weather has cleared enough that officials with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s Rescue Coordination Centre gave the go-ahead and started flying out passengers, said expedition leader Chris Turney, in The Associated Press.
The first group touched down at the Aurora Australia vessel Thursday, to much cheer.
“I think everyone is relieved and excited to be going on to the Australian icebreaker and then home,” Mr. Turney said, in the AP report.
Plans are for the helicopter to cart the stranded passengers, a dozen at a time, in an operation that will span about five hours. But not all are abandoning ship: The 22 crew members have decided to stay on their stuck craft, until the ship can be freed, AP reported.
Those rescued will head to the island state of Tasmania, AP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 10 million new babies? China's hope for boom likely to become policy bust
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.