- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Palestinian ambassador killed in home explosion in Prague
The Palestinian ambassador to the Czech Republic, Jamal al-Jamal, was killed during an explosion at his home in Prague, and police say the cause seems to have been accidental.
The blast occurred when Mr. Jamal tried to pry open a safe that had been shut and sealed for two decades, triggering a safety device, police said, BBC reported. The ambassador was transported to the hospital for treatment of numerous injuries, but died four hours later.
"The safe was sitting neglected in one of the areas of the old embassy," said Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki, to The Associated Press. "No one had touched it for 20 to 25 years."
A woman thought to be the ambassador's wife was also taken to the hospital. Her condition is unknown.
Mr. Jamal had only recently moved into the home, located in the Suchdol district of the city.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Woman born male sues CrossFit for gender discrimination
- Darrell Issa pressed by Black Caucus to say sorry to Elijah Cummings
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
- Teen on deathbed awakens as family sings hymns
- Staples shuttering 225 stores by mid-2015
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on nonprofit hospital
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Obama goes from lame to laughable in just one week
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again