- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Australian Open glance
Question of the Day
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - A look at the eighth day of the Australian Open tennis championships on Monday:
WEATHER: Mostly sunny, high of 23 Celsius (75 Fahrenheit).
ATTENDANCE: Day session: 32,092; Night: 16,399; TOTAL: 48,491.
SEEDED WINNERS: Men: No. 1 Rafael Nadal, No. 4 Andy Murray, No. 6 Roger Federer, No. 22 Grigor Dimitrov; Women: No. 2 Victoria Azarenka, No. 5 Agnieszka Radwanska, No. 11 Simona Halep, No. 20 Dominika Cibulkova.
SEEDED LOSERS: Men: No. 10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, No. 16 Kei Nishikori; Women: No. 3 Maria Sharapova, No. 8 Jelena Jankovic, No. 13 Sloane Stephens. Men’s Doubles: No. 1 Bob and Mike Bryan.
STAT OF THE DAY: 18 - number of consecutive matches won by Victoria Azarenka at Melbourne Park as she remains on course for a third consecutive title.
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “You know he has a strong personality. We can agree to disagree” - Mike Bryan, on a telephone conversation he and his twin Bob had with John McEnroe after McEnroe’s criticism of doubles in tennis majors.
PLAYING TUESDAY: Quarterfinals: No. 2 Novak Djokovic vs. No. 8 Stanislas Wawrinka, No. 3 David Ferrer vs. No. 7 Tomas Berdych; No. 4 Li Na vs. No. 28 Flavia Pennetta, No. 14 Ana Ivanovic vs. No. 30 Eugenie Bouchard.
FORECAST TUESDAY: Early showers, high of 24 C (75 F).
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq