- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
70 years later, World War II Marine gets funeral
CHOWCHILLA, Calif. (AP) - Seventy years after being killed in action during the 1944 invasion of Guam, a Central California Marine has received a funeral with full military honors.
The Fresno Bee says (http://bit.ly/1fVEiYD ) that two years after the war, Cpl. Thomas Jefferson Johnson got a quiet burial in his hometown of Chowchilla - with no bugle playing “Taps,” no color guard, no presentation of the flag.
Jefferson’s son, Kevin Johnson, now 75 and a military veteran, says it bothered him his whole life that his father never received proper military honors.
Johnson was in attendance Monday as a team of guard members gathered at the Chowchilla Cemetery for the long overdue funeral.
The newspaper says Johnson fought back tears while standing over his father’s grave as his colleagues with the American Veterans Post 56 in Tulare presented him with a folded flag.
Information from: The Fresno Bee, http://www.fresnobee.com
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.