- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Man jumps from overpass, dies, after police chase in Maryland
A man died early Tuesday after fleeing police and jumping off an overpass onto Interstate 495 in Lanham, where he was struck by oncoming traffic.
Maryland State Police have not identified the man, but said that the incident began around 3 a.m. when a state trooper pulled over the Hyundai the man was driving.
The trooper attempted to stop the man for an unspecified minor traffic violation on Interstate 495 near Interstate 295, Sgt. Jon Hill said. When the trooper exited his vehicle, the driver of the Hyundai drove off and the trooper got back in his vehicle to pursue the car.
The Hyundai exited I-495 onto eastbound Route 50, where the car crashed into the barriers on the on-ramp. The driver then exited the car and ran, eventually leaping from the on-ramp and landing in the fast lane of I-495 below the ramp. An oncoming 2009 Toyota truck struck the man.
It is unclear whether the man died from the fall or after being struck by the truck, Sgt. Hill said. Authorities were investigating the incident Tuesday.
Lanes were closed for up to three hours as a result of the crash investigation.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- D.C. Council sues Mayor Gray, CFO over budget autonomy law
- D.C. Council sues Mayor Gray over budget autonomy law
- Guilty verdict in execution-style killings of 2 women, 2 children in Lanham
- Minority parties see power grab for D.C. vote
- Two bodies found under bridge near Southeast D.C. highway
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.