- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
Man jumps from overpass, dies, after police chase in Maryland
A man died early Tuesday after fleeing police and jumping off an overpass onto Interstate 495 in Lanham, where he was struck by oncoming traffic.
The trooper attempted to stop the man for an unspecified minor traffic violation on Interstate 495 near Interstate 295, Sgt. Jon Hill said. When the trooper exited his vehicle, the driver of the Hyundai drove off and the trooper got back in his vehicle to pursue the car.
The Hyundai exited I-495 onto eastbound Route 50, where the car crashed into the barriers on the on-ramp. The driver then exited the car and ran, eventually leaping from the on-ramp and landing in the fast lane of I-495 below the ramp. An oncoming 2009 Toyota truck struck the man.
It is unclear whether the man died from the fall or after being struck by the truck, Sgt. Hill said. Authorities were investigating the incident Tuesday.
Lanes were closed for up to three hours as a result of the crash investigation.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Prosecutors: Gray had firsthand knowledge of 'shadow campaign'
- Natural gas prices rise for D.C. customers as temperatures drop
- Released from hospital, Marion Barry reflects on his health and political career
- Montgomery County matches homicide total from 2013
- Council member introduces bill to regulate D.C. party promoters
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Unanimous Senate passes bill on military sex assault to give victims more say in prosecution
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again