- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Man jumps from overpass, dies, after police chase in Maryland
Question of the Day
A man died early Tuesday after fleeing police and jumping off an overpass onto Interstate 495 in Lanham, where he was struck by oncoming traffic.
Maryland State Police have not identified the man, but said that the incident began around 3 a.m. when a state trooper pulled over the Hyundai the man was driving.
The trooper attempted to stop the man for an unspecified minor traffic violation on Interstate 495 near Interstate 295, Sgt. Jon Hill said. When the trooper exited his vehicle, the driver of the Hyundai drove off and the trooper got back in his vehicle to pursue the car.
The Hyundai exited I-495 onto eastbound Route 50, where the car crashed into the barriers on the on-ramp. The driver then exited the car and ran, eventually leaping from the on-ramp and landing in the fast lane of I-495 below the ramp. An oncoming 2009 Toyota truck struck the man.
It is unclear whether the man died from the fall or after being struck by the truck, Sgt. Hill said. Authorities were investigating the incident Tuesday.
Lanes were closed for up to three hours as a result of the crash investigation.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Woman fatally struck by bus in Upper Marlboro
- Virginia county revives debate about domestic drones
- GSA picks 3 sites as finalists for new FBI headquarters
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors