- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Red Sox pitchers visit Caroline Kennedy in Tokyo
Question of the Day
TOKYO (AP) - Boston Red Sox pitchers Koji Uehara and Junichi Tazawa met with U.S. Ambassador to Japan Caroline Kennedy on Tuesday during a tour to share the 2013 World Series trophy with baseball fans in the country.
“This is a great event,” Kennedy said at a reception at the Embassy’s residence. “Last fall’s victory would not have happened without these two players here tonight.”
Earlier in the day, the two pitchers presented Prime Minister Shinzo Abe with a Red Sox jersey and talked baseball with the Japanese leader.
The 38-year-old Uehara pitched a perfect ninth inning to finish off a 6-1 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 6, securing Boston’s third championship in 10 years. The 27-year-old Tazawa pitched in 13 of 16 postseason games.
Also attending Tuesday’s reception were Japan’s first major leaguer, Masanori Murakami, former New York Yankees outfielder and 2009 World Series MVP Hideki Matsui and Japanese conductor Seiji Ozawa, the former music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and an ardent Red Sox fan.
“You and your players - past and present - are ambassadors of goodwill to millions of fans here in Japan,” Kennedy said. “Thank you for continuing the great legacy of baseball diplomacy between our two countries.”
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors