- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Marijuana decriminalization bill set for Feb. 4 vote in D.C. Council
The D.C. Council will consider a bill to decriminalize marijuana during its Feb. 4 legislative session.
Council member Tommy Wells has proposed a measure that recommends a $25 civil penalty for marijuana possession. Current law makes possession punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
Mr. Wells has cited racial disparities in the arrests made for marijuana possession as the reason for reform.
The bill has broad support among the 13-member council, though several members indicated during a hearing Thursday that they are likely to introduce amendments before the vote.
A separate bill that would legalize marijuana is pending in the council, and activists are also leading an effort to put legalization on the ballot in November.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Five former Virginia AGs want case against ex-governor Bob McDonnell dismissed
- Bowser's D.C. primary victory caps speedy rise to political prominence
- Scandal-weary D.C. voters send Mayor Gray packing
- New details lead police to D.C. park in search of missing 8-year-old girl
- Police: Columbia mall shooter left chilling message before rampage
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014