- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
Marijuana decriminalization bill set for Feb. 4 vote in D.C. Council
The D.C. Council will consider a bill to decriminalize marijuana during its Feb. 4 legislative session.
Council member Tommy Wells has proposed a measure that recommends a $25 civil penalty for marijuana possession. Current law makes possession punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
Mr. Wells has cited racial disparities in the arrests made for marijuana possession as the reason for reform.
The bill has broad support among the 13-member council, though several members indicated during a hearing Thursday that they are likely to introduce amendments before the vote.
A separate bill that would legalize marijuana is pending in the council, and activists are also leading an effort to put legalization on the ballot in November.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Five former Virginia AGs want case against ex-governor Bob McDonnell dismissed
- Bowser's D.C. primary victory caps speedy rise to political prominence
- Scandal-weary D.C. voters send Mayor Gray packing
- New details lead police to D.C. park in search of missing 8-year-old girl
- Police: Columbia mall shooter left chilling message before rampage
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.