- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
NY woman pleads guilty to Sandy fraud
NEW YORK (AP) - A Long Island woman has admitted she fraudulently collected over $18,000 in Superstrom Sandy disaster relief funds.
She told the court she was “very remorseful.”
Prosecutors say she received the funds in FEMA assistance by claiming her Merrick apartment became uninhabitable.
Prosecutors say the apartment suffered only minor damage.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/1jIBH2y ) says four other people were arrested in unrelated cases on charges of illegally collecting a total of over $70,000 from FEMA.
FEMA money was supposed to be used to help Sandy victims repair primary residences, replace damaged personal property or for rental assistance.
Sowinski was ordered to pay back the money. She faces six to 12 months in prison.
Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.