Norwich student writes about surviving Haiti quake

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

NORWICH, Conn. (AP) - When writing teacher Prentice Tracy assigned his seventh-grade class at Kelly Middle School to write a narrative about a significant event in their lives, student Guerloudy Alexandre hesitated.

Guerloudy, 13, had never written about how she and her family lived through the devastating earthquake that struck Haiti on Jan. 12, 2010.

“I didn’t know how to write it,” Guerloudy (pronounced Ger-loody) said recently, “because there was so much that happened. . It’s there in my head. It’s been in my head every day.”

Coached by Tracy, Guerloudy wrote several drafts of her story, bringing it to a point where Tracy wanted to share it with others. He sent it to Superintendent Abby Dolliver.

“Thanks very much for sharing this with me,” Dolliver wrote back on a sticky note Tracy keeps on his desk. “Please ask the student if she can share this. It is so touching. Please continue to do this great work encouraging our students.”

Guerloudy stood before a crowded conference room on a recent day and read her four-page story to rousing applause, congratulations from the Board of Education and a slew of questions she answered with confidence.

Four years earlier, Guerloudy was living in the middle-class neighborhood Port-au-Prince Fort Mercredi. On the morning of the earthquake, her mother, Guerline Baptiste, and her father, Joseph Alexandre, were fighting, but she, her sister and brother didn’t know why. Her grandmother, Elise Baptiste, scolded them for fighting so soon before the children’s father was preparing to leave for the United States to work.

At dinner, their world shook. Guerloudy was paralyzed with fear and her mother grabbed her to get her to run to safety.

They choked on thick dusty air as everyone ran from crumbling buildings. Although her family was OK, Guerloudy and her siblings cried like everyone else. Nearly 200 people in her neighborhood slept outside as aftershocks struck.

Unable to reach relatives by phone, they decided to walk to their former neighborhood - like walking from Norwich to New London, she wrote.

“It was a hard process, especially the fact that we passed by several houses that were on the verge of falling,” she wrote. “We had to run past them. Dead bodies were lined up on the street in patterns. I felt like I was running a marathon and my lungs were going to explode.”

Her dad was handed a list of missing people. No family but many friends were listed.

“As I looked around the street, I realized just how horrible the scene looked,” Guerloudy wrote. “The beautiful places I once knew were now filled with mourning people and dead bodies. The warm air I usually felt was now chilly, as if everything had changed overnight.”

For two months, Guerloudy and her family lived in a tent city on a big field. The children carted clean water as men dug through rubble for survivors, bodies, food and much-needed supplies.

Her parents fought again, when her dad said he and older brother Joey Alexandre, now 15, would leave for the United States when the airport reopened. He promised to continue working on paperwork to bring the rest of the family to Charleston, S.C.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks