- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
Chelsea signs Egypt winger Salah from Basel
LONDON (AP) - Chelsea made up for Juan Mata’s departure by completing the signing of fellow midfielder Mohamed Salah, who joined the Blues from FC Basel on a 5 ½ year contract on Sunday.
Salah, who scored against Chelsea in two Champions League group matches this season, is Jose Mourinho’s third significant recruit in the January transfer window after Nemanja Matic and Bertrand Traore.
The 21-year-old Egypt winger arrives at Chelsea after the club sold Spain midfielder Mata to Manchester United for 37.1 million pounds ($61.2 million) on Saturday.
“We had to react to the Mata situation which was unexpected,” Mourinho said. “We tried to go for a young, left-footed, fast player who is fast in the space. He is the kind of player that looks for space and tries to get behind people. He is a good choice and a good option.’
Chelsea did not reveal the fee for Salah but British media reported it in the region of 11 million pounds ($18.1 million).
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Russian bombers buzz U.K. airspace; jets scrambled to chase off 'Bears'
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- ISTOOK: Obama's sleight of hand hides hidden government's work
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014