- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Recount leaves Dems in control of Va. Senate
Question of the Day
According to media reports, the recount widened Lewis‘ lead over Coleman to 11, an increase over the 9 votes that separated the candidates in a Jan. 7 special election for the Hampton Roads and Eastern Shore District.
Lewis will succeed fellow Democrat Ralph S. Northam, who successfully ran for lieutenant governor. His former district, Senate 6, includes Norfolk, a slim section of Virginia Beach and the Eastern Shore.
Lewis‘ win keeps the party affiliation in the Senate even at 20-20, while the House of Delegates is overwhelmingly Republican. The lieutenant governor casts the tie-breaking vote in the upper chamber, giving Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe a bargaining chip to push his agenda in the General Assembly.
The Republicans had held the tie-breaking vote last year under Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling.
McAuliffe, Northam and Attorney General Mark Herring, all Democrats, swept the top of the Virginia ticket in last year’s election. The last time that occurred was in 1989.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi denied freedom by Mexican judge
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener