- Ukraine will compete in Sochi Paralympics despite Crimea conflict
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
Mission stall as China’s moon rover hits critical impasse
China’s much-ballyhooed moon rover made it through about half of its three-month mission — and then suffered a massive breakdown that potentially compromised its ability to continue.
“Although I should’ve gone to bed this morning, my masters discovered something abnormal with my mechanical control system,” Xinhua reported, in the voice of Jade Rabbit. “My masters are staying up all night working for a solution. I heard their eyes are looking more like my red rabbit eyes.”
And then the fateful pronouncement, CNN reported: “Nevertheless, I’m aware that I might not survive this lunar night.”
A lunar night spans 14 Earth days. During, surface temperatures can drop well below zero degrees. To survive, the explorer has to “hibernate” to save and protect its electronic system. A mechanic problem could cause the system to freeze and fail.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Russia accused of sinking own cruiser to block Ukrainian navy
- Pope Francis: I snatched a cross from my confessor's corpse
- Suspected serial killer may be loose near Washington, D.C.
- Calif. shop facing angry fire pulls 'smart gun' from shelves
- Napoleon's death-bed hair, shirt to hit the auction block
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Golden Hammer: Feds spend millions to train executives train in luxury
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again